permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:12:53 -0500

On 11/28/2012 9:01 PM, Frances and David wrote:
Isn't it amazing?
The true peaks of human culture on earth, for some of us.
Truly magnificent adaptations!
Something worth celebrating...
The Garden of Eden lives in the minds and hearts and lives of those who see
this way!
fran

I assume the link was active and allowed you to see the picture without logging in to Google. I had hoped the galleries were public.

People have relied on low tech (high tech when you consider the scale of their endeavors, like the rice terraces) methods of producing food, forage and fiber for thousands of years. Farmers growing rice in mountainside terraces in the Phillipines use the off-season or fallow time to grow fish in the flooded terraces. They leave tied up bundles of rice straw in the ponds for fertilizer and marine organism breeding ground. They harvest fish and gain soil fertility in the terraces.
I downloaded a huge collection of files and images on this remarkable site. If I can find them I will post links to the original. All this is on PBase somewhere. Some of the best collections of images and writing on rural cultures of the world exist at this remarkable site.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dLiot4DgTDM/ULa-TvIelrI/AAAAAAAACWs/bm2IBqcmzNI/s400/Bormese-chinampas.jpg
Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at
its best.

"Farmers from Myanmar's Intha tribe pick tomatoes from a floating garden in
the famous Inle Lake. These gardens are probably similar to the ones
cultivated by the Aztecs on Lake Tenochtitlan."