permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:16:41 -0800

How about if we don't feed 9 billion people, don't make the inevitable even
worse by putting it off yet another 30 years, and instead pay the human cost
of not inflicting more ecocide on the planet. The most recent 2.5 billion
came from turning oil into food; we're way, way past carrying capacity in a
way that adopting a "drill, baby, drill" attitude toward food won't change.
More food makes more people. More people increase human impact. That's just
physics. Does anyone else see this?

The longer we put off nature's turn to come to bat, the harder she'll swing
at us.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com