permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nicholas permaculture generation gap

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Woody Wodraska <wodraska@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nicholas permaculture generation gap
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 03:39:59 -0700

thanks Killian, yes what we share is top priority.
bb
Woody Wodraska
wodraska@mac.com
http://www.soulmedicinejourney.com
Deep Gardening: Soul Lessons from 17 Gardens, Biodynamic Memories now available at http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000138866

On Aug 25, 2010, at 9:01 PM, Killian O'Brien wrote:

Given I am a boomer, by some counts, at least, and probably in the last .0001 percentile being born at the tail end of '64, I hardly feel like a sellout! I'm a right proper liberal/never-done-drugs-but- come-from-a-drug-usin'-brood/stuck in 60's-70's rock/sometime longhair/A-B student/geek/teacher/entrepreneur/hate abortion-but- support-the-right/climate activist/doomer/see a pinprick of light down the tunnel/flat broke product of the Boomer Gen.

And I think the idea that permaculture can be a movement or should be defined or governed or suffers some generational failings to be silly. Let it be what it is, people, which is different for us all. Fighting that is like fighting the tide. I've had conversations with Geoff Lawton and Bill Mollison (very short, via e-mail, and probably actually Lisa doing the typing, and perhaps the responding), and both were amazed and appalled (my specific words) at the false division between the practically minded and the more, shall we say, spiritually-minded, as well as the ultra-competitiveness, in the US.

These conversations are interesting in the way a good dorm lobby debate was interesting in college: they help individuals hone their self-concept, beliefs, whathaveyou, but don't change much. I fall back to the obvious: a million permaculturists will result in a million permacultures. Just let it be, eh? What we share is what is important. The ethics and principles, as they are, with or without extension, are mind-bogglingly powerful. It's enough. We need not cram it into a form or stretch it to fit some ideal or ideology.

Let those that wish to get rich doing this do so. Let those, that give it away, like me so far, do so. Don't work with them if you don't want to. God knows there are "permaculturists" that flat refuse to work with me. While it hurts, at the end of the day it can't matter. The work is the thing. Are there selfish, perhaps "bad" people doing PM? Undoubtedly. So? You gonna tie 'em down? Decertify them?

We have powerful tools at our disposal and powerful knowledge. What divides us is so much esoterica.

Just my 99 cents.

Cheers,

Killian O'Brien
PRI-De