permaculture - Re: [permaculture] goat worming plants?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] goat worming plants?
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 23:33:55 -0400

You might look into the various lespedezas native and exotic, some have been used as commercial forage crops.

I've read that birdsfoot trefoil helps sheep with parasites due to the tannin content.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
We just got a new Kiko nanny goat this morning, freshly wormed from her
previous owner, and I'm wondering what I can plant in the orchard to help
with worms in the future, as Ivermectin isn't exactly part of my typical
grocery list. At Darren Doherty's Keyline class in Aromas, CA, back in
October someone mentioned using diatomaceous earth, at which point I caught
Darren's eye and we were both shaking our heads. Wha? But surely there are
plants that can help in this regard. Would love to hear about them.
Also, we're in a hot muggy zone 8 climate in the southeastern US and I'm looking for diversity in the high-protein fodder department. Does anyone have experience with Siberian pea shrub down here? What about mimosa? Not a lot of foliage, so not sure it's worth planting, but grows readily here. What else? Eleagnus? Russian olive does almost too well around here. Do goats dig it?
Cheers,
Tripp