permaculture - Re: [permaculture] goat worming plants?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] goat worming plants?
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:44:29 -0400

Black walnut grows big, and it's not slow about it either. If you are on 1/4 acre and you want to grow a variety of vegetables and other plants I question the wisdom of restricting yourself, both from juglone and shade, by planting black walnut.

In the southeastern U.S. (?) there should be a fair amount of black walnut around. Is the anti-worm compound in the hulls? These might be available cheaply at the cost of some labour, from others' trees.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
Thank you Douglas, Scott, Dylan, Lisa, and Steve! Always appreciate advice
from people with solid hands-on experience. Lespedeza was mentioned during
the goat exchange as a possibility, and my wife and Steve both mentioned
wormwood. Sounds like Russian/Autumn olive is more trouble than it's worth,
as kudzu would be, even if they're just doing their job!
I think I'll try the Siberian pea shrub, maybe in a semi-shade location since it's so bloody hot down here, and I was already considering planting black walnuts in the "back 40" between a mature pecan and hackberry - see if I can get a Hemenway-style, juglone-neutralizing walnut guild going. For blacks it takes two to fruit; I assume I could plant them in the same hole to save space? Anyone done this?
Possible chance of buying the 1/4 acre and house next door to us for under $5000! That would double our garden and give us the option of housing a wwoofer for the season starting 2011. Under 10k for 2 houses and a half acre in town. There will always be options for the flexible!
Thanks again, guys.
Tripp out.