permaculture - [permaculture] Farming in Light Industrial Zoning

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Farming in Light Industrial Zoning
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 00:10:50 -0600

Does anyone have experience with farming in light industrial zoning? I imagine the rules vary from town to town, but any general experience or insights? My thoughts are, of course, buy cheap unused industrial property and start a farm in the city. Specific concerns are zoning restrictions and contaminants in the ground (would raised beds help in any significant way?). I've heard of gardens going up on top of asphalt in Detroit, so it seems to me that contamination/hardpan may be possible to overcome. Furthermore, would the siting affect the health departments allowing of produce to be sold?

Thanks for any input.

Chris Carnevale