permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Travis Miller <wyrdbrew@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:00:45 -0400

I recently read a paper on a theory that anthropogenic warming actually started thousands of years ago. The gist of the paper is that anomalous quantities of CH2 and CO2 have been dated to the early part of the holocene period. The methane increases are along the same timeline as the increased use in domesticated ungulates and the CO2 increases are on the same timeline as deforestation by humans for use as farmland. The hypothesis is that the domestication of animals and clearing of land got the global warming ball rolling and extended the cyclical warm period between glaciation and that we'd be well into an ice age if it wasn't for human activity. Essentially, agriculture created global warming and industrialization made it more severe. I'm not a climate scientist but the data and the basic premise seemed to make sense.

Here is a link to the paper on Stanford's website.

http://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/Publications/PDF_Papers/ Ruddiman2003.pdf

This may have some bearing on discussion of how Permaculture can and should be used as part of a mitigation response to climate change.

Travis

"It is never to late to be what you might have been."
- George Eliot