permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tom <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:47:37 -0400

On Apr 11, 2007, at 2:09 AM, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Yes, the average Doe on the street is ignorant and all they can
comprehend and hold on to is "Global Warming". You should have seen the
glazed eyes over when I told the lunch table about Permaculture,
recapture of resources/energy and the 3 R's working into our lifestyle.

I've also tried to use permaculture as a wedge into the consciousness of, shall we say 'the ignorant,' generally with little success, except in cases where whomever I am talking to already has an interest or experience in gardening. In the occasions that a gardener isn't already aware of permaculture they take to the ideas readily. Without an already existing interest or experience in horticulture or agriculture it all comes off as meaningless to most people- 'food' comes in colorful packages from the 'store' and the chain apparently ends there. I figured something as fundamental as food could be used as a means of getting through to just about anyone, but it seems that industrial Ag and the food industry have done such a thorough job decoupling the reality of food from most people's lives. What I have found to get the most response from people, and often serving as the first 'domino' so to speak, is natural building. I guess the 'primitive' desire to build one's own home is somehow more compelling than that to raise one's own food (maybe because it is perceived as more materialistic or fun), but start talking about cob and strawbale, etc., supplement with some photos and cite the affordability and DIY aspects (not to mention the sustainability and 'beyond-green' qualities) and people show real interest. Get them excited about that and they are on the path to permaculture and a deeper understanding of our world and the issues we're facing. Part of it I think is that the notion that one could build one's own house, without special tools or particular expertise, is amazingly empowering, even if one never ends up actually doing it. It comes as a great positive to counterbalance the fatigue, aversion and fear of sacrifice and overwhelming sense of 'what can I possibly do?' so many people feel in the face of global warming, environmental degradation, etc.

Tom