permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ryan Power <ryan.s.power@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GLOBAL WARMING:- A different 'take' on it
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:48:53 -0700

Tom has it down when he writes that "global warming is a symptom, not the disease." Climate change is an emergent quality of all of the activities of industrial civilization. We're talking about an entirely unsustainable culture. We live in a culture in which there is something fundamentally destructive about how it approaches reality. I find it slightly ironic that we are discussing solutions within the problem. Each of our computers was produced, distributed, and will be disposed of in harmful, greenhouse gas emitting ways. But we are discussing this on this thread because of its name - "permaculture," which refers to a permanent culture - and we are all pioneering (bioneering?) ways to establish such a society.

I spoke with a tribal chief from the Sioux last month about this. He told us that his elders advised that heat is the source of healing and purifying. They heat the rocks to create sweat lodges to purify their bodies. The earth is doing the same thing. Let's not be a disease.
What can we do? The elders advise that our first step is to come together. Such a simple statement!
Much love to you all for the amazing work you do.

First they ignore you
Then they laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win