permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Terraforming means what?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Terraforming means what?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:09:59 +1100 (EST)

Doesn't the earth need deserts and mountains

drducc@aol.com wrote: Hey John,

When we are talking about returning the Sahara to a condition where it
can support human life, we are talking about a "natural" system at
least partially created by humans using unsustainable methods, so I
don't see the problem. Yes, humans have arrogantly destroyed lots of
habitat and natural systems, but aren't any of us interested in
permaculture using our ideas and techniques to change an already
changed landscape? And if you are designing "whole systems" seems to
me you are an engineer of sorts.

Debbie