permaculture - [permaculture] fence posts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] fence posts
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:53:54 -0500

I am glad you brought up the fence posts topic. We have 160 acres to
fence eventually. To begin, I am only going to fence the west and south
ends because we are located in a dead end canyon, surrounded by
unoccupied land on the other directions. The property is laid out
square, but the land itself is very rugged. I am thinking of planting
osage trees along the fence lines with the intention to eventually grow
them thick enough to be the fence themselves. But before they mature
enough to post the fence to them, I'll have to use steel t-posts. The
osage trees would be thick enough (hopefully) to prevent breakthrough by
the livestock, as well as offer wind protection to crops. They should
also grow tall enough to provide discouragement to deer. Now, the
question is: has anyone else done this, and how long did it take the
trees to grow to a useful density?

Roxann