permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PCD course prices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster@globalcircle.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PCD course prices
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:48:26 -0600

I take issue with the PC "certification" business, and I get attacked
PERSONALLY like this:

>So please, investigate the facts
>before you spout off with unfounded opinions. The rest of your posts will
>be taken more seriously that way.

But as you see, I'm getting my information directly from the people putting
on these workshops. I'm just asking questions that someone doesn't want
asked.

While you claim to have "withheld certificates from students who fail to
meet the criteria", exactly what criteria do you mean? The only criteria
you mention is

>To get a certificate, each student must attend every module of the 72-hour
>curriculum and present a design project at the end which is critiqued by
>the teachers, the course hosts, and the students.

And you can't do testing ("We don't administer tests"), so what standards
are there? Just pay the money, attend the classes, and do a project. And
Bingo! They "graduate". AND they get a certificate. Does it have their
name printed on it? Is it properly embossed in gold trim?

You claim that:
>The rules are set by Mollison and the International Permaculture
Institute.
>There is a specific 72-hour curriculum that must be taught. Enforcement,
in
>terms of policing each course, is lax because we had this ideal that we
>could be self-policing, ...

Even IF (big IF) some standard "curriculum" must be taught, there is simply
no effort to determine whether participants have learned that "curriculum".
They could almost sleep through it (long as they don't snore and attract
attention).

My question, which people seem to be evading at every opportunity, is where
is the justification for ANY kind of "certification" when there are no
accepted standards, no set body of knowledge to be tested on, and no
possible way of evaluating students' competence in permaculture? The
excuse that students' want certificates simply tells me money is the
overriding concern.

paul@largocreekfarms.com