permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fence posts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fence posts
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:08:08 -0500

Roxann,

I have been dealing with the cedar-apple rust thing too. (For you others, I
am in the MO Ozarks.) You will not be able to get rid of enough cedar trees
to keep the cedar apple rust away, unless you cut every one on the
mountainside. I planted a bunch of apple trees this year and chose all
resistant varieties. There were 2 apple trees in the yard when I moved
here. One is a golden delicious and all the leaves turned got the rust
spots, turned yellow and dropped prematurely from the cedar-apple rust. The
other is a red delicious, I think, and not affected at all. They look
terrible when they are covered with the rust, too, so I just opted to go for
resistant varieties. Altho the apples on these two older trees were buggy,
the ones on the yellow delicious were stunted and totally worthless, except
as feed for sheep and horses.

The osage orange thing sounds neat. I, too, need a bunch of fences to make
use of some of this grass. The previous owner let cattle all over and they
really broke down the creek banks. Lots to do here, too!!!! Lisa