permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PCD course prices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster@globalcircle.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PCD course prices
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:19:34 -0600

Understood, Riverlady. Like some others, I had hoped a list for
permaculture would be about permaculture, about how to do permaculture,
about people's experiences, successes, and mistakes, and so forth. I
thought it would actually have some information about practicing
permaculture. It could leave one with the impression that most posters
aren't actually doing permaculture at all, because they don't talk about
what they're doing.

We want permaculture. What some of us question is the real value of
expensive workshops where you get "certified" just for being there. No
standard syllabus, no required reading, no exams, no evaluation to see if
the person getting "certified" could teach anything if their life depended
on it. And who exactly sets the rules for these workshop certifications?
Nobody of course. There is no umbrella organization behind it all, like
some of the herbalist schools for example.The only standard is you pays
your money, you gets your certificate. Think they're going to flunk
somebody who paid their $700?

In other words, the usual certification is worth about as much as those
mail order PhDs. Of course workshops may be useful. But the certification
part is worthless unless it's used to teach one's own workshops, which of
course draw more people who hope to use certification to teach more
workshops ... and in the meantime they forgot to actually do permaculture.
Sure some of those running workshops have gardens with some permaculture
features. But I have to wonder how they would measure up to the original
concepts of permaculture as a complete working system of natural balances
on a farmstead.

People spend a lifetime learning to garden in a certain locality and
climate. We learn by doing, we learn from research, we learn by sharing,
and this is an unending process. What can you learn in a week? More, I
hope, than we've learned about permaculture from the posts on this list.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net