permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Carla McAuley" <carlamcauley@earthlink.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: <RSeibert47@aol.com>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 03:32:53 -0600

Mark,
your point about the people side of community is well-taken, but it doesn't
speak to a)the very real need to find like-minded individuals and b)the
process by which community happens. Many of us have probably experienced an
aborted community development process where the community couldn't survive
the discord that happened as people got to really know each other and find
out how different they were. M. Scott Peck (The Different Drum) has made an
extensive study, with hundreds of case studies, of how community happens,
and I can vouch for the accuracy of his discoveries as proven in my own
experiences. There are basically three stages. The first is
pseudo-community, in which everyone is in agreement about doing the project
and is "nicey-nice" with each other. As they engage in dialogue about the
project, they begin to find areas of disagreement and begin to polarize
emotionally. This creates a feeling of chaos and despair that increases to
a boiling point. It's the most vulnerable point for the budding community
and the point at which many, who are unprepared for it, having no knowledge
of the process, will leave in disgust for "those discordant people." If
they know to expect the chaos and despair and work through it by engaging in
honest dialogue, or if they are so darn committed to the project they won't
give up, they will discover that a flashpoint occurs in which they realize
they have respect and love for one another. That is true community. It is
almost as though they suddenly see each other as noble souls, striving in
different ways to do the best they know how to make the world a better
place. When that happens, there is a rush of energy and creativity that
brings all they need to complete the project and function as a team. I know
it sounds like magic, and when it happens it feels like it, too. I have
been through the "magic" twice and through attempts that failed three times.
Everyone that failed did so because the people weren't committed enough or
didn't understand enough to stick it out through the stage of chaos and
despair.

So, if you're into community, study M. Scott Peck. He's the man.

Love,
Carla