permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Gopher control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Murphy" <mmurphy@ctsl.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Gopher control
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:28:34 -0700

We're just south of San Francisco.
Gopher bombs work but we are getting certified organic, so they are out.
Gophers will dig 12" down and travel on top of the ground over anything
under 6" for sure. We go down 18" and up 12" to be sure.
Trench and wire mesh is the permanent solution.
Temporary: they hate male urine. Have a wiz party. Show the Wizard of
Oz, serve Cheese Whiz and feed the guys lots of beer, with all inside
toilets posted for women only. Mark the gopher holes outside as the
male restrooms.
Our two Maine Coon Cats catch a fair number of them.
In classic Mollison-think, your friend doesn't have too many gophers -
s/he just doesn't have enough gopher snakes.