permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Community - resources

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Community - resources
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:07:32 -0500

At 12:48 AM 8/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
OTOH, some in PC at times appear to give pretty short shrift (and at
times outright derision or dismissal) to 'community' efforts in the
interpersonal realms. IMO however the 'culture' aspect rather than the
'agriculture' aspect is the crux of meaningful change (differences that
make a difference).

=====
John Schinnerer, MA

Almighty goddess help us, but I have an opinion here too. I have lived in three housing co-ops and one "unintentional community" with a PC focus. I think in general these are worthy ventures, economically and culturally a good thing. However, like many ventures in "community" they are curiously insular in some ways, inwardly focused and sometimes insufferable and arrogant, dismissive of local customs and practices or change and newcomers depending on the social orientation of the group. The inward focus is probably necessary in the development phase, so many rely on sweat equity to make it all work. It is the long term failure to engage with the broader community that is kind of disappointing to me. I have come to the conclusion that real "community" is not the people you agree with, but the whole mish mash of humanity within a days walk. The real challenge is making things work with the lawn poisoners and confinement dairy farmers, not the granola chewers.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK