pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:10:28 -0700

Lee Flier wrote:

The thoughts about bioregion are interesting. I agree that USDA zones, while useful and standard for US residents, are kinda inadequate to describe bioregions. I think bioregional standards could be very useful

and presently don't really exist; maybe part of this project could be to define some bioregional criteria/geographic boundaries which would continue to develop over time with user input. If we really did it right maybe they could eventually become widely used standards.

Would any of this be of use:

From an earlier post of mine,
> Include fields for zone, bioregion, ecotone and biome and let these areas
fill with input as the project evolves;

zone here would be climatic zone derived from location data (zip, lat/long,
country) though PC zone could be added
and have the same validity as bioregion

Have an area in the DB where various terms are defined through user input,
i.e. bioregion as opposed to inferring what it means
from data added to a bioregion field in a plant record.