pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:01:47 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Chad Knepp wrote:

> Interesting responses happening... a couple of comments.
>
> The USDA Zone 1-10 is basically only an indicator of minimum winter
> temperature which falls into my climate category. Personally, I think
> Lat/Long + extesive climate info (max/min temperatures quarterly,
> rainfall quarterly or monthly, humidity?, others?) would be the
> simplest... what about topography? Hopefully we could find/make a
> utility to translate ZIP/Postal code to Lat/Long or some such... maybe
> even locales themselves. Although I really think bioregions are what
> we are talking about here, like Scott says, I'm not sure there exists
> a clear enough distinction of which bioregion is which... perhaps our
> definition of locale will demarcate bioregions better.
>
> Anyway, keep talking about this cause it still isn't clear to me.

All very good stuff here, certainly it would be great for all this to
go in.

I think we might need to distinguish locale which defines a position /
area separate from habitat, conditions etc. Yes a locale might
map to a particular set of conditions, habitats and bioregions
but these are properties of the locale rather than its identifier.

Maybe easiest to explain in code we might have

class Locale:
int lat
int long
String country-code

Habitats matchingHabitats
Bioregions matchingBioregions
Conditions matichingConditions

class Habitats: pass

supose we really need to keep each individual class as small
rather than going for very large unwhieldy classes which could be hard
to modify later.

Catch my drift?