pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:54:25 -0500

Interesting responses happening... a couple of comments.

The USDA Zone 1-10 is basically only an indicator of minimum winter
temperature which falls into my climate category. Personally, I think
Lat/Long + extesive climate info (max/min temperatures quarterly,
rainfall quarterly or monthly, humidity?, others?) would be the
simplest... what about topography? Hopefully we could find/make a
utility to translate ZIP/Postal code to Lat/Long or some such... maybe
even locales themselves. Although I really think bioregions are what
we are talking about here, like Scott says, I'm not sure there exists
a clear enough distinction of which bioregion is which... perhaps our
definition of locale will demarcate bioregions better.

Anyway, keep talking about this cause it still isn't clear to me.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'