pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:25:11 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Chad Knepp wrote:

> Looking for some input here in terms of how we want to define
> locales. Something like Continent/Nation/State/City, Lat/Long, a
> thorough climate description, or a combination of all of these?

There is some advantage of using country codes UK, US, FR, ...
definatly state/region (we dont have states here onlu counties).

Probably worth defining a locale class, which could be sub classed later
if there is a need to refine the locale at a later date.

Might also be useful to include language codes en-uk for UK english,
etc.

Can be quite a tricky job getting the locale right, I spent ages
working in decoding the text field ken used for the native range.
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/D_search.html#AREA
is some of the regions I used. I've a big text file with key words used
to find matching countries. Very far from perfect though.