pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:09:06 +1000

At 1:17 PM -0500 11/9/04, Chad Knepp wrote:

>Looking for some input here in terms of how we want to define
>locales. Something like Continent/Nation/State/City, Lat/Long, a
>thorough climate description, or a combination of all of these?

The "zone" nomenclature is well understood, so having a way of
recording different growth habits in different zones would be
a good place to start. As I recall pfaf has some of this data.

If you're talking about (for example) people entering details of
a specific plant or guild which occurs locally then I think
latitude/longitude (with ' and ") would be most suitable. In this
case though there should be the ability for people to enter other
data about the locale which may effect the habits of this plant
or guild... like soil type, slope direction etc.

...R.