pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:11:11 -0700

Yep, this is what I was looking for. Anyway we can pull climate data
out of Lat/Long info?

Reading your discussion got me thinking. I know I ran into an article a while back about NASA releasing (might not have been a public release) a global average wind speed, temperature, and precipitation data set. Can't seem to find it now. Though I don't know how easy it would be to grab a point from the whole set if we had it.

There are a few resources here:
http://unr.edu/homepage/daved/gislinks.html#clim

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/data/adai/

http://maps.ers.usda.gov/AgResources/index.asp
Interesting data on US irrigated land (OT I know)

http://www.diva-gis.org/
"Extract climate data for localities points, and predict the presence of species based on climate, using the BIOCLIM or DOMAIN models; for either the current (1960-90) climate orĀ  predicted future climate (2040-60). " Hmm...

Also there is a Product for Plone that interfaces with MapServer:
http://plonemap.makina-corpus.org/map/map_view

A collaborative effort to create GIS based bioregional maps would be quite cool.

Cheers,
Bear