pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:43:48 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Richard Archer wrote:

> At 1:17 PM -0500 11/9/04, Chad Knepp wrote:
>
> >Looking for some input here in terms of how we want to define
> >locales. Something like Continent/Nation/State/City, Lat/Long, a
> >thorough climate description, or a combination of all of these?
>
> The "zone" nomenclature is well understood, so having a way of
> recording different growth habits in different zones would be
> a good place to start. As I recall pfaf has some of this data.

Zones may work well for the us but it is widely critisised for
places outside the US. If you look at most zone maps for europe
you find that cornwall
wet, max temp 25c but not much frost
is in the same zone as spain
dry, max temp 35c not much frost
hardyness zones are based on a single figure something like the
minimum tempraturature during the year.

> If you're talking about (for example) people entering details of
> a specific plant or guild which occurs locally then I think
> latitude/longitude (with ' and ") would be most suitable. In this
> case though there should be the ability for people to enter other
> data about the locale which may effect the habits of this plant
> or guild... like soil type, slope direction etc.

Lat long could be useful but who can tell me where 55 deg latitude
and -2 deg longditude is?

A fun side project would be to map lat/long to country and vica-versa.
In general stuff I'd like to leave till later. Right now
I think we need to focus on getting the overall structureof whole DB
sorted
it could easily take up weeks of time to really get the perfect locale
system.