pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] How do we want to define locales?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:59:17 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

. what about topography? Hopefully we could find/make a

utility to translate ZIP/Postal code to Lat/Long or some such...

Hi guys :),

There are several databases available that have longitude and latitude data by ZIP code, county, etc. I have also already written routines to calculate distances between longitudes/latitudes, since I've done several applications that have had to find the nearest store to a customer when they enter their zip, etc. So I've got that part covered!

The thoughts about bioregion are interesting. I agree that USDA zones, while useful and standard for US residents, are kinda inadequate to describe bioregions. I think bioregional standards could be very useful and presently don't really exist; maybe part of this project could be to define some bioregional criteria/geographic boundaries which would continue to develop over time with user input. If we really did it right maybe they could eventually become widely used standards.

Lee