pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:24:30 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Re: Steph's ugly emails -
One one last thing that Chad wrote (as you can tell, I like to quote Chad), "I
have a similar problem with them. My guess is that Stephanie writes her
sythesis in Word (on a Mac?) and pastes them into a webmail text box. I'm able
to work around it ok. Stephanie, no rush, but you
should consider using a non-webmail email client such as Mozilla
Thunderbird (if your running OS X), which you will thank yourself for
over and over later as it will solve all your email travails."
Ok fine. I admit. I use Word. So sue me. Or rather, help me. What is
Mozilla and Thunderbird. They sound scary. Can you hold my hand if I make
this transition?

1) Go to mozilla.org and download:

Mozilla 1.7.2
Mozilla
Web-browser built for 2004, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat
client, and HTML editing made simple.

Install it - make sure it finds the profile (is often called "profiles") your
current browser/email client uses (this may contain all your
email folders and browser & email preferences/setup etc).

If it can't locate your profile then start from scratch and configure Mozilla browser & email client with all your preferences, user/server/password info; start the browser and collect a few vital bookmarks.

2) Mozilla has an excellent email client with a great message editor that
produces clean text. You can configure preferences to format email
in plain text or html. Text is best.

If you like composing your documents and email messages offline ond in a
different application then try using a text editor (there are
also text-based html editors too those many text eds do html too). These are a few that I recommend; I use the first two and plan on installing the third rsn; I used the fourth back in my BBS days (EARTH*Net BBS, Fidonet node 1:151/501)
1)
Ultra Edit http://www.ultraedit.com/
2)
Textpad http://www.textpad.com/