pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[20][9.8.04]
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:35:52 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
>
> > Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> > you the

> > > Not at all. It sounds like a perfectly sound decision. Does this
> > > mean that those of us interested in raising money to buy HG a Zope
> > > machine to donate to ibiblio can get started on doing this? If and
> > > when we are able to get a Zope server operational there will you
> > > and Rich start/move current work to that location and transfer the
> > > permaculture.info domain to ibiblio for hosting?
> >
> > Absolutely!
>
> Great! I hope we will be able to pull this off and get the money sooner
> than RSN.
>
> Four questions:
>
> 1) I assume not having Zope root access on an ibiblio Zope server
> will not hamper progress. If you need this (root) to create Zope
> products could you do that work on John Howe's server on an as
> needed basis?

John H. has it set up so that I can do whatever I need in terms of
development in a way that I think ibiblio would also be able to do and
benefit from the existing config.

> 2) Rich mentioned before that permaculture.info could become a node
> in a distributed database network/extranet wherein data updates on
> one server would instantly be reflected by all participating
> nodes. I would assume that all nodes would use permaculture.info's
> database software and they would be required to have access to a
> Zope server to be able to participate. As opposed to using standard
> Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP will nodes having to meet this requirement
> limit the number of organizations/individuals who will be able to
> be part of our project, in this case, The Open Permaculture Project
> (that's a great name for this, open=accessable=visible)?

I think what Rich M. is suggesting is not platform dependent, so it
doesn't really matter what the sites are running so long as they
conform to the API or understand the right breed of XML.

> 3) With Zope on ibiblio would I be able to run Plone in my ibiblio
> website?

Yep, if they also install Plone, which right now is a requirement for
permaculture.info.

> Could I run a copy of your Perl weblog?

Saying that my blogger was the best was meant completely as a joke.
It is basically featureless and relies on a recursive perl templating
system that I wrote as well (perc). Just to perpetuate the humor,
I'll tag it on the end here.

> 4) When I bring my new computer home from the store I will have an
> extra Intel platform, a P4. I am contemplating installing Linux on
> it as a dual boot machine networked via a network switch with my
> new one. Could you recommend a flavor of Linux or maybe FreeBSD?
> You're talking rank novice user here. I need to be able to massage
> my collection of data files with Linux and have been looking
> forward to doing this for years. I don't need apps, just utilities
> and Linux commands.

I use Debian, but I think what John H. wrote is pretty much what I
would say as well. Don't try Debian just yet, check out Knoppix for
fun/testing/preview and then look at Suse and Mandrake. I'm actually
seriously considering moving back to OpenBSD in the near future for
random reasons.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'

#!/usr/bin/perl

# number of log entries to display before expiring
$number=15;

# log entries
$body="/home/pyg/lib/www/bodies/log";

# expired log entries
$oldbody="/home/pyg/lib/www/bodies/oldstuff";

# browser command to preview in
$browser="/usr/bin/w3m -F";

# editor
$editor="/usr/bin/emacs -nw";

# a temporary name
$temp="tmp_file";

# log file date format
chop($date=`/bin/date +"%D"`);

# log entry delimiter (changing will erase everything)
$seperator="<!--log-->\n";

# decoration
$hr="<hr width=15% align=left>\n";

# while quit != yes
while ($choice!~/^y/i){

# edit the log entry
system("$editor $temp");

print "\nPreview this entry in a browser (Y/n)? ";
$choice=<>;

# if preview is chosen
if ($choice!~/^n/i){

# read the file in and surrond it with <html> tags
open (IN, $temp);
$html="<html>";
while (<IN>){
$html.=$_;
}
$html.="</html>";
close (IN);

# save as a temporaray .html file
open (OUT, ">$temp.html");
print OUT $html;
close (OUT);

# preview it
system("$browser ./$temp.html");

# remove the temporary file
system("/bin/rm", "$temp.html");
}

print "\nUse this log (Y/n)? ";
$choice=<>;

# if Use this log is yes
if ($choice!~/^n/i){

# read in the existing log files
open (IN, $body);
@logs=split /$seperator/,join "",<IN>;
close (IN);

# read in expired log entries (if any)
open (IN, $oldbody);
@ancient=split /$seperator/,join "",<IN>;
close (IN);

@rev_ancient=reverse @ancient;
# expire log entries if necessary
while ($#logs>=$number-1){
push @rev_ancient, pop @logs;
}

@ancient=reverse @rev_ancient;
while ($#ancient>=$number-1){
pop @ancient;
}

$output=join $seperator,@ancient;
# write expired log files
open (OUT, ">$oldbody");
print OUT $output;
close (OUT);

# read in the new entry
open (IN, $temp);
$text=join "",<IN>;
close (IN);

# output is the old log files put back together with the delimiter
$output=join $seperator,@logs;

# output is the new log entry (formated) and all the old ones
.$seperator.$output."\n";

# write the log file
open (OUT, ">$body");
print OUT $output;
close (OUT);

# so the footer sees it as modified
`touch /home/pyg/lib/www/bodies/changelog`;
}
print "\nDone (y/N)? ";
$choice=<>;
}

print "\n";

# remove temp file
system("rm", $temp);

# perc subset of ~/lib/www/files
system("/home/pyg/bin/perc /home/pyg/lib/www/files");

#upload
system("/usr/bin/scp /home/pyg/www/*.html
chad\@galatea.org:/usr/home/galatea.org/htdocs/");