pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] starting then...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] starting then...
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:33:46 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

I have one question that I don't need to know the answer to right off,
but that we may want to discuss. This is, do we want to couple our
project tightly with Plone. I can, using Plone Archetypes, create
objects that are compatible with the plone CMS style of doing things,
subject to workflows, reviews, etc. The immediate/obvious advantage
is that things like comments, articles, and discussions already exist
in Plone and we don't have to create them later. I can also do this
pretty easily at a later date so I don't need to know right off.

Does this mean that you would create, using the above-mentioned tools,
the data entry interface for users to input material into the DB?
Or do you plan to use other programming tools for this and if so
would the end product offer the same or similar features as Plone
(comments, articles, and discussions [and email notification of changes and
new
data entries])?

On another subject, a suggestion: Every record in every field in the DB
should be appendable to an
alphabetized Index hotlinked (hyperlinked or the Zope/Plone/whatever
equivalent) to the search form
wherein the item name is autimagically inserted in that form ready for the
user to initiate the search.

I think a lot of users will want to see some sort of table of contents and
index that mirrors the DB content,
just the individual items, no description or other reference data. They may
want to see graphically (text) the
scope and content of the DB.