nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yahoo groups listservs

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yahoo groups listservs
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:01:01 -0500

I participate on this list, some other e-mail groups, some Yahoo groups,
and some bulletin-board groups. I enjoy the conversational feel of this
one. Also, perhaps because everyone's e-mail is shown I don't think we've
ever had a 'troll' and 'flaming' is extremely rare. In general, I find
e-mail groups more convivial, more of the 'backyard fence' experience.

Bulletin boards work better for high-volume groups. Maybe this group is
getting into that range. But little looks lonelier on the internet than an
underused bulletin board.

Personally, I find it easier to search my e-mail archives (I have NAFEX
back to about 2000) than to search most bulletin boards. I also frequently
appreciate that I can use the NAFEX list off-line. I often read and reply
to it from my TREO, which doesn't have the bandwidth to make a bulletin
board enjoyable.

It's probably a good idea to try a bulletin board. I hope it doesn't kill
this list. (both require critical mass to be valuabe.)

NAFEX used to host its mailing list on YAHOO, and moved to ibiblio for a
number of excellent reasons. One of those was that we had no ownership of
or control over the archives on YAHOO, and no promise they would be
maintained. In fact, NAFEX, would have lost all the archives from the
YAHOO days if I hadn't mailed my own copy of the archive to our helpful
webmaster. (I do regret for not having edited out the bits of personal
fruit-related e-mail in that archive, and apologize for that clutter.)
E-mails from YAHOO are also huge and cluttered - a problem for those with
limited bandwidth as well as for those who prefer not to wade through ads.
___
Ginda