nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:55:34 -0500

My experience with grafting on different species within the same genus are
with pears on apple, amelanchier and hawthorn.
Some of the grafts grew well, fruited and lived for quite a long while),
but eventually they all die after about 10 years (this the maximum life I
have recorded yet). I now consider such grafts only as a temporary home for
varieties.
On a previous post, it was said that an experiment was stopped after 5
years, the point having been made... I would think more time is required
for a complete demonstration of compatibility.
Claude, Quebec.