nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 15:49:36 -0500

redherring@tnaccess.com wrote:

<snip>Will apples graft to hawthorn, mayhaw, or are there native crabs that
make resistant
rootstocks? Any suggestions

Hi,

It is a matter of time, when it comes to those types of grafts. The less
compatible the
rootstock and scion the shorter the life of the tree.

All dwarfing is a reuslt of incompatablity.

You can graft pear onto apple, but how long till it gets rejected and dies?

My 93 year old great-aunt loves to tell the story of the apple tree in their
backyard when she
was a girl. My great-grandmother grafted a pear branch onto this apple tree
back in the 20's or
30's. The scion grew thrived and produced fruit for years. People were
shocked upon entering
the backyard to see an apple tree with a branch laiden with pears.

For whatever reason that match of apple and pear worked well.

Your mileage may vary.

Later,
Tom

===