nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 16:08:28 -0600

At 02:21 PM 1/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:
I've read that Winter Banana is an apple compatible with pear. Is it
reasonably long lived in that combination? Are there any others? Could I
use Winter Banana as an interstock? Will apples graft to hawthorn, mayhaw,
or are there native crabs that make resistant rootstocks? Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Donna

Donna,
I'm sure Lon will be along with the answer shortly - he's the one who first tipped me to the Winter Banana/pear compatibility - seems like I recall he'd had or seen a WB on M27, grafted to multiple pear varieties that was productive for an extended period of time.
It sure seems like it might be worth a try putting some WB on pear(or hawthorn topworked with pear) and trying some apples just to see how they do.
I've got Ayers pear on a seedling apple - it was purchased as a seedling pear rootstock, but about half that bundle have turned out to be apple/crab seedlings - Ayers grew great the first year, but it's just been kind of 'sitting there' for the last 3.

I think Del Stubbs or someone on the list was trying apple on Amelanchier a while back, but I don't recall the outcome. Del?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY