nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 06:15:29 +0000

I think Del Stubbs or someone on the list was trying apple on Amelanchier a while back, but I don't recall the outcome. Del?

Jury is still out - since my experiment was with only a handful of grafts. So far none of my nova pear w/t grafts on craetagus have taken. The only apple to stick with it on amelanchier is honeygold - and it is questionable. Same on craetegus, only honeygold and it's questionable. These were all done on small branches (1/4"), I hope this spring to cut some hawthorn at ground level and graft so all its juices are forced into the scion of both pear and apple. Would be happy to hear of scion recommendations to try.
Del, where northern Minnesota is more like zone 4 or 5 so far this year