nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 06:37:49 +0000

We own Tennessee hillside land, land that is largely devoid of nutrients... But my apple trees have
one by one succumbed to borers and voles..... but they still hardly >grow. Pear seedlings, by >contrast, have fairly alarming vigor. . >Donna

We are on nearly pure clay hills, apples and pears are happy, but a neighbor is on seemingly pure sand (all thanks to ice age glaciers) and his apples are struggling. I'd like to hear ideas on what's up with pears thriving so differently than apples - (considering they were once even linked within the same genus).
Secondly, would appreciate opinions on efficient ways to make barren ground happy for apples, my first thought is simply horse manure in large quantities, Del

The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup