nafex - [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:21:11 -0600

Well, we are supposed to be in sunny Florida right now but a long
irregularly shaped peice of solid steel lying on a gravel road resulted in
one transmission and two cooling system leaks, so while I wait for the new
radiator to be arrive.... I'd like to settle something else that's bothering
me.
We own Tennessee hillside land, land that is largely devoid of nutrients
(they all went downhill, to what is now the bottom of a lake) and some
things like this kind of land, while others hate it. Blueberries love it,
peach trees do pretty good, and pears volunteer. But my apple trees have
one by one succumbed to borers and voles. I now have metal screen wrapped
around the remainder, but they still hardly grow. Pear seedlings, by
contrast, have fairly alarming vigor. Nothing has touched any of my pear
seedlings or my mayhaws, and though hawthorn gets FB pretty bad, the ones
with pear grafted on them look fine, and again, no borers or voles have
attacked.
I've read that Winter Banana is an apple compatible with pear. Is it
reasonably long lived in that combination? Are there any others? Could I
use Winter Banana as an interstock? Will apples graft to hawthorn, mayhaw,
or are there native crabs that make resistant rootstocks? Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Donna