nafex - Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

  • From: "Erwin Meekers" <erwin.meekers@luc.ac.be>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:14:39 +0100

> I've read that Winter Banana is an apple compatible with pear. Is it
> reasonably long lived in that combination? Are there any others? Could
> use Winter Banana as an interstock? Will apples graft to hawthorn,
mayhaw,
> or are there native crabs that make resistant rootstocks? Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. Donna

I've some experience with apples grafted on pears. I used some remainder
pear trees (on quince rootstocks, with Beurré Hardy interstock if required)
and mostly GoldRush grafts. Grafts were put on in spring. While some trees
are doing pretty well, others are just "sitting there". The ones that are
doing well are doing well for more than five years. For me it's more of a
showpiece, so I leave the pear-part with a length of 3 foot and there I put
the graft. That way (and by pruning in a cordon) these are all very nice
trees, which combine apples and pears on one tree. I do thin the fruit very
well, to avoid alternating years.

Some examples of peartrees that are doing well with GoldRush on top of them
are : Condo, Feuchtwanger Butterbirne, Paterspeer, Herselosse, Saint-Remy,
Sans Pépin de Riha. I don't think you will find much of these cultivars in
America (some are local Belgian ones). In any case it's not impossible. But
I can't tell how long they will live.

Erwin