nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clay,gypsum,cobalt

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clay,gypsum,cobalt
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:40:42 +0000

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

From: Joe Hecksel Chemical ammendments like gypsum and limestone displace the sodium and potassium ions with calcium ions.

Thanks much Joe for your explanations.
I have been considering amending my clay hill apple orchard with gypsum but wonder how to apply it. Considering clay's nature I would think that a surface application, say a ton per acre, would never get down into the clay to do its work. I would think it would have to be worked down deep with heavy equipment prior to planting. Can surface application work?
Secondly, during the last Nafex conference a knowledgeable grower strongly recommended cobalt as the solution to breaking up clay. I have no idea what level of application, and would not want to over appply. Does it work with ions as well, or some other mechanism?
Del

The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup