msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Hasse" <jhasse@comcast.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] BackPack Question
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:08:08 -0600

The modular style wildland firefighting packs have some advantages for SAR work and some distinct disadvantages.

The main advantage is that you can quickly switch out modules for different types of missions.

The main disadvantage in my opinion is that this modularity comes at the expense of comfort. While the harness system of the Coaxsher packs (Endeavor and Recon) is beefy, the load distribution is suboptimal. For maximum comfort, you want the weight of your gear to be placed as high and close to your body as possible. This places it close to your center of gravity. The farther away the load is from the center of gravity, the more energy you have to put into bringing the weight forward (and the heavier the pack feels). In addition, this type of pack lacks internal stays which allow weight to be transferred to the waistbelt (which significantly reduces the utility of this beefy waistbelt). Most people find it more comfortable to carry weight on their hips than shoulders.

A pack also has to fit your frame well to feel good on your back. I suspect that this is part of your problem. Pack manufacturers for the outdoor recreation community have responded well to the needs of small-statured women. You will likely find the best variety of choices there. For most searches, I use an older tear-drop shaped Lowe Alpine Contour Mountain 40. For multi-day stuff, I use a smaller North Face pack. Both are comfortable and rugged enough for off-trail use.

For this weekend, I would suggest trying to get as much weight high and close to the body as possible. Don't over pack the bag that sits next to the lumbar region of your back. Good luck and have fun!

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>