msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Hasse" <jhasse@comcast.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:13:33 -0600

Just my opinion:

-I presume two 1-qt water bottles (4# of water alone). Carry them as close to your body as possible (heavy and dense).

-Unless you have a very reliable water source (e.g., treated), I would consider water purification tablets. The Katadyn tablets are lightweight: http://www.rei.com/product/695229. Depending on your activity level, two quarts of water per day may not be enough.

-That mummy bag is going to feel awfully cold without something underneath you. I would consider a chunk of ensolite pad, even a shortie (about 9 ounces): http://www.rei.com/product/708521 or http://www.rei.com/product/781089. You may even be able to fold it so that it pads the inside of your pack. Try to place the sleeping bag low in your pack (light and bulky).

-The number of flashlights you carry depends on what you might be doing at night. 6 sources is overkill (3 FL, 3 light sticks). If you are planning on staying put, one might be enough. If you have to travel at night, the redundancy of three is a good idea. I also carry a headlamp because of their versatility (the Petzl Zipka): http://www.rei.com/product/793267 (very light). BTW, light sticks are good markers for things at night, but lousy light sources (too diffuse).

-Loose the hand/foot warmers. If you have the ability to make fire, that is a better external heat source. Carry the weight difference in extra food--internal heat source.

-I agree with Una's layering comment. One well-known mountaineer is quoted as saying; "If you aren't wearing everything you have to stay warm at night, you carried too much." Consider a light weight fleece hat to wear at night (mine is less than 2 ounces).

-I agree that this is a little much for fire-building, especially if you are only planning on building a single fire for the weekend. Redundancy in this area isn't bad, but could be trimmed. (Your notebook is also a fire-starter...)

-Apples are indeed tasty, but heavy (lots of water). Dry snacks would go farther. Go for high-fat, high-protein snacks (trail mix, etc.).

-A small amount of hand sanitizer with the TP is fine. Don't get carried away.

-A trowel for digging cat holes isn't necessary. A boot heel works OK in most soils.

-I agree that the tent pegs aren't necessary in most areas. I would go with some extra lightweight cord instead (1mm). Tie the corners to rocks and branches.

-For a survival weekend, I'd loose the toothbrush. For camping, I bring it. (In other words, it is a luxury.)

-The metal cup is only useful if you are planning to cook something. The foods you mention are no-cook foods. You could leave this behind.

-I would add a bandanna. Lots of uses.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lila Corey" <Caballera@embarqmail.com>