msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:41:22 -0700

Have you weighted the loaded pack? What does it weigh?

What capacity are the water bottles? Either fill them, or include
the extra weight if they were full.

Here are the things I would change, cut back, or eliminate:

>tp
Most people pack way too much tp. I find 1.5 wads per day is
enough. Some people skip the tp and pack a few moist baby wipes
in a ziplock. Those wipes can be used to clean your hands and
face too. Packing wipes assumes you will be practicing "leave
no trace" protocol.

>extra set of clothes
Don't pack an extra set, pack extra layers! Layers you can add
to what you plan to wear.

>food ie: 1 apple, 1 pt. size bag salty snacks, 3 peanut butter crackers, 4
>cheese sticks

Sounds tasty, but to pack light you want maximum calories per
unit weight and volume. So nothing very perishable, nothing
that bruises (no apple), nothing that becomes gross if wet (no
crackers). I would pack stuff like a chunk of cheese, a fat
salami, a bag of salted roasted nuts, jerky, hot cocoa mix,
bar chocolate, hard candies. I might pack the plastic bladder
from a box wine, with a little wine still in it. Discard the
box. In a pinch, you can use the bladder as an extra water
container.

>fire building material - long burning candle, waterproof matches,
>firestarter, 4 small cotton balls with pet. jelly in them, small cigarette
>lighter
Too many. Pick 2 of the 3 fire starters, and 1 of the 2 fuels.
I would skip the cotton balls; they need packaging (= weight).

> 3 flash lights with >extra batteries, ( all 3 are small LED)
Too many flashlights. I would take only 1.

>( and duct tape wrapped around 1 of them
Eh. I'd probably leave this at home. Duct tape is helpful but
if your equipment is in decent shape to begin with you are not
likely to needed.

A flashlight needs a lanyard. Yes, if you drop it you may be
able to see it, but that doesn't mean you can retrieve it from
wherever it falls.

> 2 handwarmers/ and 1 set foot warmers
Luxury items that I don't bother with. Mittens and spare socks
are more useful.

>hand sanitizer (travel size)
Depends where you are going. If ground water is ample, I would
leave this behind.

>small fold up and light weight shovel (less than 6 inches)
For digging tp hole ("cat hole")? I would leave it at home.

>small notebook in ziplock bag
Alternative sheet or two of waterproof paper? Pencil?

>ball cap
Better than no hat, but a hat with a 360 brim protects far more,
in sun and rain.

>4 tent pegs for building tent with tarp
No mention of poles, so you'll be using vegetation. In that
case you don't need to pack pegs.

>3 light sticks
I would leave these at home

>1 metal cup
Why do you need a cup? You have bottles. I would leave it.
Hot cocoa is a comfort item; hot water is rather disgusting.
Both require a fire; if you have a fire you are in pretty
good shape already and if you don't have a fire the cup won't
help you.

>That is it.
Add a LARGE TRASH BAG. You can wear it as a raincoat, you
can sleep in it to keep you and your bag warmer and drier,
or cut it open to make a second tent or a windbreak beside
your tent.

Have a great trip!