msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Finkle, Tomi <CTR>" <Tomi.Finkle@associates.dhs.gov>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Standards for mounted SAR
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:11:22 -0500

Please go to our team's website for the answers to most of your
questions www.trotsar.org Yes, we have adopted ASTM MSAR Responder
standards, but not as a stand alone SAR source. We point to them only as
another standard we meet or exceed as part of our MSAR toolbox.

Our team (TROTSAR Mounted Team Inc.) goes through a validation process
every one to three years. As a NGO SAR validated SAR resource, our
training records, testing materials and administrative recording keeping
inspected by two (2) different state agencies(MD and VA; one state
inspects/validates annually and the other every 3 years). Our MSAR
deployment MOU is based which is issued at the State level of
government. These MOU's minimizes our liability issues and concerns.
Our team is ready for inspection by any government agency.

We regards to your inspection readiness question: I only know of one
other MSAR-Riders member (a MSAR Chief in SE PA) that holds the proper
credentials and validation to conduct such an inspection for our team.

Because of the geographic makeup of our team members, our service area
covers over 100 counties we do not report to a County AHJ. We require
all applicants that join the team to have the equivalent KSA's of Level
D pony club requirements. To Read or NOT to Read is not our concern.
Does the person have the knowledge- Yes or No. I know people that have
passed the NASAR SAR Tech II test, yet never read the first page of the
manual.

We all have concerns about other MSAR teams. Personally I think it
would be best for folks to make sure and dust out the cobwebs within
their team, before putting on the white gloves and questioning another
team's practices, protocols and KSA's.

T'mi
www.trotsar.org