msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:00:40 -0500

When evaluating what to carry always rank water, and food high, even if you
don't think you will need them. Three pints is not enough for anything,
except maybe taking a pill. Most people working outside need several liters
of water (1L = slightly more than a quart) per hour. For reference the
adage is, "if you are not p***** you are not drinking enough". You can
survive days without food, some of us longer than others, but not without
water. When walking I carry 2 1.5 liter Nalgene wide mouth bottles on belt
carriers, when riding 4 with squirt tops. One skinned knee can consume 2
liters without trying. In the summer I freeze the bottles before using and
add more in my saddle bags.

Some stuff depends on what you are wearing and who is with you. Shoe laces
or rawhide can be useful, spare batteries are always needed. Some kind of
permanent marker, all surfaces for notes and markers, a roll of fluorescent
survey tape, spare socks, etc. If there are leaves around you may not need
paper products.

If the weather is really lousy you need water proof clothes, a hat and good
gloves.

Some things you can share-- an entrenching tool, a radio, GPS, tent (shelter
halves, get it), as long as there is enough for the team and team stays
together. We try to send 2 radios and 2 spare batteries out with every
task, and 3 people. Flashlights make it easier to write in the dark but do
little to improve your searching. I prefer to night adapt and I am blind as
can be without my glasses (carry a spare pair). Lamps also tend to point
where you look and most people look in their partner's face when speaking,
ruining their night vision.

The first aid kit depends on your level of training. If you are a certified
pre-hospital care person (first responder, EMT-b,-I,-p, medical
professional) you are expected to be able to work at your level of training.

Not having the gear is not an excuse in many courts. I carry collars, a
traction splint, and an OB kit just so I won't have to use them. Anytime I
don't have them with me I need them.

Work it out yourself. Everybody publishes the ultimate equipment list. I
know of one MD who wanted searchers to carry schedule narcotics with them
because morphine is good to have for trauma patients. The DEA had other
ideas.

Irv Lichtenstein