msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] FEMA

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] FEMA
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:10:31 -0500

MOU has turned into a key must have term. Conventionally a MOU is between AHJ's and not between like teams. However, because MOU's are looked at with such positive light, my mounted team established formal Training MOU's between some of the other SAR teams in DE and VA. Our Training MOU's address common resources, common communications, common training goals and a yearly joint training exercise.
You may want to give some consideration to establishing a couple of MOU's with Faith Based organizations who have developed disaster response teams. FEMA has no legal control over the deployment of Faith Based groups or their resources and some local governments used this catch-22 to obtain SAR assistance during the Katrina and Rita response and recovery efforts.

PS: Keep in mind that many EMA or OES mangers do not have field experience and have backgrounds in public administration (FEMA's Mr. Brown is a prime example). A good team leader of a local resource needs to research HSPD-5 and 8 requirements in order to level out the playing field.

Lois Guyon wrote:

The head of EMA [...] said that we would need mutural aid agreements
with other MSAR units.

Are there FEMA certifications that are helpful?

Absolutly! go to the FEMA EMI site and look at the IS-100 (ICS) and IS-700 (NIMS) courses and the IS-800 will soon another mandated training course of all goverment and non-government resources (I postedx the links to this site yesterday).

Tomi`
TROT-SAR
State of Maryland