msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] FEMA

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] FEMA
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:08:11 -0700

Lois Guyon wrote:
>The head of EMA [...] said that we would need mutural aid agreements
>with other MSAR units.

Lois,

Mutual aid agreements (memos of understanding or MOUs) normally are
made between agencies having jurisdiction (AHJ), not among the
resources to be called. A volunteer SAR field team is a resource,
not an agency having jurisdiction; is your SAR team in any sense
both resource and AHJ?

Here in New Mexico, if a team that is called cannot respond, it
is up to the AHJ to call another team. The AHJ needs to know its
resources. That is why mutual aid is between AHJ's; if AHJ #1
asks AHJ #2 for mutual aid resources, AHJ #2 needs to know its own
resources well enough to send AHJ #1 what it needs, and only what
it needs.

>Are there FEMA certifications that are helpful?

No. At least, not for MSAR.