msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Limited Expectations for MSAR?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Limited Expectations for MSAR?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:50:51 -0700

I have been thinking about this issue in regards to future training events like SAR CITY. It would be nice if the mounted tracks were as diverse and detailed as the dog tracks- and I don't see why they couldn't be. It will take participation by MSAR teams in the events to show there is enough interest to offer these classes but what better place to receive cross training then in a place where experts in these other technical areas are already gathered to teach!! Chris Pennington
I've long been a proponent of MSAR personnel attending a lot of training WITHOUT their horse. ;)

For the record the Search Dog Tracks at conferences tend to keep the handlers focused on the dog issues, not necessarily on handler knowledge regarding SAR. Sound familiar? Except Search Dog standards generally require the handler to also have SAR knowledge. And handlers have the option to attend any classroom training they choose to at a conference.

Most MSAR standards I've seen make no reference to the rider being trained in SAR, and pretty much only address rider-equine skills and equipment. Yet that rider should be qualified in AT LEAST basic ground SAR, and hopefully will add some cross-training to be versatile with other skills. (The NASAR MSAR Standards-to-be will require a SARTECH II level of training for the general MSAR rider, if anyone wants to plan ahead and seek appropriate training. Since NASAR training isn't readily available to all, at least work with the same standards and come up with a "SARTECH II equivalent" status in your local training program.)

The problem at many SAR conferences for MSAR is distance. Odds are the location for Mounted training isn't conveniently at the same location. Traveling between the arena/field and the classroom becomes an issue. Plus the typical MSAR conference instructor relates to riding issues, and would prefer to have the entire group of riders for the entire day - essentially a riding clinic - in order to have a good chance at improving rider skills. (Those same riders would likely benefit from taking riding lessons or holding team riding clinics at home, particularly from a well qualified Trail trainer. Rider control is a huge issue, and many MSAR riders would benefit from professional instruction to improve their skills and increase the training level of their mount.)

What I believe would be a better solution is to have "Mounted Only" training weekends where several teams regionally bring in a professional instructor. Then leave the horse at home and attend the "normal" SAR conference to get ground SAR training. But you won't find all of the necessary ground training at conferences. And since not all MSAR riders attend the conferences, the general team still needs a method to get educated. And once again it may be necessary to bring in an outside instructor to provide training for that team. Anyone interested in cross training should make arrangements to attend training jointly with the other teams. After all, training with the people you'd be responding with puts you all on the same page. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,