market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Reid <chriscreid AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] peppers
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:05:39 -0700 (PDT)

On the topic of what may cause peppers not to set fruit, I found the following from the University of Rhode Island:

Extremely high temperatures (90 degrees F or above) during flowering often results in blossom drop. Fruit that set when temperatures average above 80 degrees F may be small and poorly shaped due to heat injury to the blossoms. Temperatures below 60 degrees F at night will also result in blossom drop.

A shortage of water at bloom time can also result in blossom drop or failure to set fruit. Pepper plants usually set satisfactory crops when temperatures are between 65 and 80 degrees F and the soil is well-supplied with moisture. Avoid soggy, water-logged soil when growing peppers.

Source: **http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/peppers.html

In past years, both quantity and quality of the peppers I grew have been lackluster.  This year I looked for shorter days-to-maturity peppers and tried King of the North and Bridge to Paris -- much better success with peppers this year than I have had in the past (I am in SW Connecticut near NY line, zone 6).  I also grew Lipstick(As many here, now, it can be prolific, sweet and crunchy).  These three peppers were selected for beds that start to lose strong sunlight in August, in an attempt to get an earlier harvest.  They are closer to 65 day peppers than 85 day.  Bridge to Paris came from the Hudson Valley Seed Library.  I also tried Yum Yum and a mini red bell -- the Yum Yum did not do well and the mini red bell was rather disappointing compared to the Lipstick.

For us, it's been a record-hot summer with little rain.  During the high 90's and over 100 degree day periods, many vegetables were not doing much in the flower/fruit setting department.  I will have to learn to use shade cloth during such weather in the future.

Chris Reid
zone 6 - southwestern Connecticut