market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] peppers
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:41:20 -0500

Here in central Texas, our bell pepper crops go thusly:
1) we produce our nicest and largest peppers early on, say late May and
June
2) by late June, July, and August we lose a lot of peppers to sun
scald. Some grower shade peppers during that period. I've tried
alternate rows of okra, which might be 6' tall by mid-summer, without
great results. 5' rows running generally north-south.
3) In the Fall, starting about now, sun scald declines, the pepper
plants perk up and production increases.

We may get pretty continuous harvest from May or June until our first
freeze in late October, November, or December. So far, this seems like
a fairly normal pepper year.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 184 days 15 hours 32 minutes