market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peppers
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:34:28 -0400

On Sep 10, 2010, at 9:35 AM, <sunnfarm AT netscape.com> wrote:

 Any bell hybrid will blow away the OP's. But I found the most reliable hybrid to be an old one from Harris seeds Lady Bell.

Peacework OP blows away Lady Bell here, and is giving Northstar hybrid a run for its money (I haven't coordinated the harvest results yet, I'll do that in the winter; but my impression is that Peacework is producing better than Northstar, though the fruit aren't as uniform).

I grew Lady Bell in 2007 and it developed a lot of disease problems when my other varieties didn't.

So called bad pepper years can often be attributed to viruses stunting plants and fruitting.

True; but that doesn't sound like what people are describing as having happened this year. Most posters have described large healthy plants with little or no fruitset, or very late fruitset.