market-farming - [Market-farming] Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Peppers
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:47:12 -0500

Prior to this year, I have always enjoyed growing peppers, especially sweet peppers.  I am familiar with 'good' and 'bad' pepper years as they seem to be so finicky about environmental conditions at flowering/fruit set.  This year was ridiculous, however.  I have 1000 bed feet of big, bushy nice-looking plants but have harvested very, VERY little fruit.  Does anyone have recommendations for me in terms of more dependable varieties, planting/transplant timing, or perhaps experience with growing them in a low or high tunnel?

At the moment I am feeling that unless I can get better and more consistent results, I may throw in the towel on peppers.  But perhaps I should just hold onto my memories of last year...when I had a bumper crop...and try again next year.  I should note that several other growers in my area have reported similar very poor yields this year...so it is clearly not just me and my growing methods.  I am just hoping that someone out there might have some good recommendations that I might try next year to improve my chances.

I am certified organic, grow on bare soil (no plastic mulch) in southcentral Wisconsin (near the border of zone 4 and 5) and grew the following varieties this year: Red and Golden Marconi, Gourmet, California Wonder, Golden CA Wonder, and Lipstick plus smaller quantities of a few heirlooms and hot peppers.  As always, the hots produced fine.  The only sweet peppers that set decent amounts of fruit were Lipstick (but fruit quality has been poor) and an heirloom: Feher Ozon.  Like last year (when I had the bumper crop), I gave each plant a small dose of bone meal when transplanting.

Thanks.  -John