market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A delicate situation: How to tell a Farmer's Market vendor their quality is off

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A delicate situation: How to tell a Farmer's Market vendor their quality is off
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:35:11 -0500

> Any suggestions? I don't want to berate the man, but gosh, he had a
> fantastic product last year and this year, it just ain't there.

The seller should appreciate customer feedback. I know I do. I am not
able to sample everything I produce and sell and I greatly appreciate
customers who point out quality problems. It is MUCH better to know
and have the opportunity to correct the problem than to not know.
However, at times, we have low quality stuff that I feel I need to sell;
I make every effort to inform customers and price accordingly.
Example: okra that didn't sell at the last market and is starting to
get black speckles might be offered at $1 rather than $2, but along
with the $2 fresher okra. We do offer a no hassle refund/replacement;
if someone comments that something they got from us previously was not
"up to snuff", we immediately give a refund or a replacement, their
choice. This rarely happens and I have absolutely no suspicion that
the policy is abused.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die